moblogging…

It would be dead handy if I could post to my blog from a mobile. I rarely find time to right entries for my blog at the moment, being able to post quickly from the phone would be realy nice.

I’ve been playing about over the last day or so with lifeblog from nokia. It’s a programme that ships with nokia smark phones, it allows you to post to typepad blogs (though sadly not wordpress) and upload photos to flickr which is what I’ve used it for.

It would be really nice if there where a wordpress plugin for lifeblog, unfortunately I think it’s probably a bit beyond me to try and create one.

In the meantime, I’ve just found kablog which is another bit of software for symbian, I think I’ll try installing that later.

New online back up tool

Last night I downloaded a new tool called “Carbonite” at home.

It backs up your files from your PC to their servers over your broadband connection. There’s a 15 day free trial, after that it’s $5 a month, as far as I can tell there’s no limit to the amount of data you can back up. Compared to buying an external hard drive this is pretty cheap (so the wife’s happy) and I can stop worrying about the hard disk dying on my flaky old desktop PC and me loosing all my digital photos and music

Sometimes the little thing you forget causes you the most pain

I spend a lot of time wrestling with CSS working round IE’s broken box model.

A lot of this pain could have been avoided, if only I’d remembered about the “doctype switch”.

If you don’t know what a box model is, or why IE’s is broken, have a look at this.

There are lot’s of CSS hacks that help you get around this issue, but by far the most effective solution is to put IE into “Standards Mode”, this is done using a doctype declaration. As the name sort of implies, this is a line of code that declares the type of document you are serving to your client.
I knew that I could use a doctype to change IE’s rendering mode (because gnarly reminded me the other day), but I couldn’t remember which one to use. There are lot’s of articles on the web about this, but none that I saw simply said “if you want standards mode – do this”.

So here it is…

Thanks to Hurricane on the DDN Forum

If you want to put IE into standards compliant mode

Use:

A full strict doctype, either HTML 4.01 strict or XHTML 1.0 strict without an XML prologue.

In other words:

  1. <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC “-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN” “http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd”>

needs to be the first thing in your xhtml document